What happens in the study?
If you choose to take part in this study, your child would come to 4 to 10 study visits over 2 to 5 months. Each visit lasts 1 to 2 hours with breaks.
During each visit and at 6-month intervals after participation:
- We will ask the caregiver to complete a questionnaire about the child’s hearing behaviors, vocabulary or language development
- We will compare your child’s results from the research study with their routine speech and language assessments completed by their clinical audiologist or speech and language pathologist.
- We will sometimes request an additional visit if the routine speech and language assessment has not been completed.
After your child has 12 months of experience with their cochlear implant, we will:
- Compare your child’s results from their research visit with results from your child’s routine speech and language assessment completed at Seattle Children’s Hospital. (We will request an additional visit if the routine speech and language assessment has not been completed.)
Scheduling is flexible! We can schedule your visit for any day, including Saturdays and Sundays.
Requirements to participate:
- Have at least 1 cochlear implant device
- For single cochlear implant users, having a hearing aid in the other ear is acceptable
- For bilateral cochlear implant users, having different dates of implantation is acceptable
- Received their cochlear implant devices before 2 years of age
- Have less than 12 months of experience with the implant
If you would like to enroll your child in our research study, please contact us.